Does Procrastination Help Writers?


Much of my work over the past couple of months has been authoring content for grants and websites. This has involved spending copious amounts of time staring out my office window watching snow melt in between authoring paragraphs of copy. Now that spring has sprung, sneaking away for walks has also proved an effective means of delayed writing. Eventually I make my way back to the task at hand, usually with inspiration for writing or revisions.

This literary delay begs the question: Can procrastination actually help us succeed?

Frank Partnoy’s book: Wait. The Art of Science and Delay, contends that we live in a world revolving around instantaneous reactions. “Whatever we want, we want instantly; whatever is expected of us, it is expected just as quickly.” Partnoy believes we tend to lose with this philosophy. He recommends slowing down, on the grounds that waiting gives us the benefit of time. This allows ideas to form and thoughts to coalesce.

Stepping back a bit further, venture capitalist Paul Graham’s essay, The Top Idea in Your Mind, discusses the hang-ups that can surface from concentrating too much on one idea, especially if the idea isn’t going to lead to a productive outcome. “I realized recently that what one thinks about in the shower in the morning is more important than I'd thought,” says Graham. “I knew it was a good time to have ideas. Now I'd go further: now I'd say it's hard to do a really good job on anything you don't think about in the shower.”

Whether it’s a shower, a walk or staring out the window, while procrastination may drive me nuts, cycles of literary delay can be useful in helping me achieve my best work for clients. At least that’s what I’m counting on.
 Follow on Twitter: @canterconsults