Six Tips for Business or Career Building


I recently had the opportunity to speak to a class of graduating college seniors about launching their careers. To prepare for this talk I reflected on the people and experiences that have guided me along my career paths. While resume building, job interviewing and business planning tips have proved useful, I realized that the best advice I've received has been more existential.

So as I stood before this next generation of business and non-profit professionals, here's what I presented:

1. Explore with abandon. Stay open to new ideas and seek out perspectives that are different than your own. In addition to making life more interesting, you may also discover career opportunities you had never considered.

2. Fake it ‘til you make it. Appearing self-confident is a great career or business builder. Many years ago I sat in a potential client’s office a bit blindsided by the level of work this CEO was requesting. Yet I confidently told him I can exceed his expectations. As I walked back to my car I thought, what the hell was I thinking? I had no idea where to start, but I took a running leap at the assignment, found people and resources who could help me and added a new skill set to my professional portfolio.

3. Take calculated risks. See above. The potential client wasn’t asking me to perform brain surgery. That I couldn’t fake. Yet sometimes we need to step out of our comfort zone in order to get ahead.  Plenty of athletes live by the philosophy that you'll always miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. When it comes to your career, line yourself up for some great shots--then take them.

4. Burning bridges is a bad idea.  Your mother was right when she said if you don’t have something nice to say about someone, don’t say anything at all. The world is a small place. You never know when a negative comment about a customer, co-worker, boss or vendor can come back to bite you. 

5. Get and stay involved. In the words of Albert Schweitzer: "I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I do know: the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who have sought and found how to serve." If you aren't already volunteering for a cause, start tomorrow. It will be good for you, your career and for your community. 

6. Networking is not the same as engaging. Networking is based on making connections. Engagement is about maintaining supportive, authentic relationships. Trust me on this one. Engaging with people will take you further than simply networking.  Relationship-building is more than a means to an end for me. It’s my life’s work.  What’s yours?