Feedback from a Five-Year-Old



Providing feedback--from content writing to job performance--can be tricky. 

As I'm editing writers' copy for a client assignment, I'm reminded of instances when I've received feedback that's improved my own work. Here's my favorite example.

Years ago, a media outlet asked me to author an article on parenting. As a parent of a kindergartener, I jumped at the opportunity. What could be better? I’d get paid to talk to experts about how to best raise our child. Little did I know at the onset that the most valuable input would come from an unlikely source.

Expert advice in-hand, I settled in to compose the first draft of Five Steps to Effective Parenting. This  required keeping my daughter occupied, so I turned on Sesame Street and plopped her in front of the television. An hour later doubt set in. Not about the article, but about my parenting techniques.  It seemed ironic that I was using television as a pacifier in order to write about best practices in child-rearing. 

In true multitasking style, I put her on my lap and proofed the five steps by reading them out loud. While not riveted by the content, my daughter dutifully listened as she sucked her fingers. Was she capable of comprehending what I’d written? Apparently so. Upon completion of my oratory, she removed the thumb from her mouth and offered this critical review:  “It’s ok, but you left out the most important step.  You just need to love your kid.” Having spoken those words of wisdom, she climbed down from the chair and proceeded back to the television.

Looking back, here are five constructive feedback steps my daughter used that added value to the content:
Give it Your Full Attention. While she may not have been riveted by the content, she stayed focused on what she believed to be the task at-hand.

Respond Promptly. She wasted no time in providing feedback. Giving this information long after I needed it would have been useless.

Say Something Positive. While it wasn’t a glowing response, before giving constructive criticism she offered a word of encouragement.

Be Specific. She was very explicit about what was needed to improve on the content.

Offer Guidance, Not Re-writes.  After providing thoughtful advice she left to carry on with her day. I’ll assume this was because she felt confident in my writing skills and not because she found Big Bird more interesting.